Monday, January 14, 2013

My Worth is in Him


Every woman knows the fun-ness that is in pinning pretty outfits, shoes, bags, hair-dos, etc... It is usually something they wish they had. I do it and I could name (though I won't for their own safety) more than five friends who do it as well. When I first joined Pinterest, it was (past tense) a tool that I used to become a better wife, a better mother, and a better person in general. However, it has begun to turn into boards of things that I want but don't have. I even have a board that is titled "things that I want." Pinterest is not bad. I still like Pinterest and will still use it. It is a great way to find inspiration and guidance in all matters of woman. But I will begin to check myself more often that I am not letting my desires for things I can't have consume me.

I have been reading Disciplines of a Godly Woman by Barbara Hughes and I was reminded at just the right moment that what I look like and how I dress does not define who I am. "For you created me in my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made" (Psalms 139:13 NIV). There isn't an abundance of direction from the Bible in reference to dressing but there is more than enough.  Timothy directs the church toward Godliness by saying, "Also [I desire] that women should adorn themselves modestly and appropriately and sensibly in seemly apparel, not with [elaborate] hair arrangement or gold or pearls or expensive clothing, but by doing good deeds (deeds in themselves good and for the good and advantage of those contacted by them), as befits women who profess reverential fear for and devotion to God" (1 Timothy 2:9-10 AMP).  Timothy is not saying that women cannot wear jewelry or pretty up dos.  He is saying it needs to be done appropriately with respect to the situation. 

The way we dress should be representation of God's work in our life.  That doesn't mean we have to wear over sized unattractive clothing.  It means that the clothing should not be the focus of our life.  Instead of spending thirty minutes every morning picking the best outfit that makes you superficially feel better about yourself, take that time to put on the armour of God.  Pray for his guidance for the day.  Clothe yourself in "strength and dignity" rather than silk and stilettos (Proverb 31:25).  

This post is more an inward reflection than for anyone else.  There may not be a single person that needs to hear this but I know God is putting this challenge on my heart so I will share for anyone that may need it.  Give him the glory and recognize that your worth is not in worldly things but in him.  I know that by giving God this part of my life, he is going to take me new places this year.  I can't wait to see where it is! 

No comments:

Post a Comment