Tuesday, January 10, 2012

The Desires of Our Hearts

One of the most common verses that people quote when they are waiting for something is Psalm 37:4 and it's usually paraphrased to say God knows the desires of your heart and he will give them to you. This is partially true. God does know the desires of your heart and he does want to give them to you but there is more to that scripture than just making God your own personal genie. When my husband and I were trying to have a baby, I had "God will give me the desires of my heart" written on a posted and pinned on the board next to my computer. It was my reminder that God would give me a baby. I read that note every time I sat down at the computer. Until I realized that maybe I should read more into it and explore the context of the verse.

Psalm 37:3-5 says "Trust in the Lord and do good, dwell in the land and feed on his faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the Lord and he shall give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust also in him and he shall bring it to pass." I prayed very hard about this scripture and the desires of my heart. I felt God tell me that when I get back to a deeper place with him, in prayer and in worship, that he would give me a baby. The verse calls for us to trust God and his faithfulness. When we trust God and follow his directive voice, then he will give us the desires of our heart. We need to be aligned with his will or we cannot expect him to provide.

Once we are in God's will, you still may be waiting. God's timing does not always happen the way we want it to. Sometimes waiting just a little longer the way God plans will give you more than you even knew your heart desired. If you are waiting for something (a new job, a baby, a spouse, etc...) pray to God and ask him for faith and trust. Seek him first and all other things will be given unto you.

No comments:

Post a Comment